These gluten free carrot muffins are a quick, healthy substitute for carrot cake. They use cholesterol-fighting oats instead of wheat. The coconut oil is also a pleasant wholesome addition. These muffins also have an entire pound of carrots – a very nice way to get your beta carotene! The texture is especially soft and scrumptious … your friends won’t believe that they contain no wheat at all. The next time you get a craving for fat-laden carrot cake, reach for this yummy alternative instead. Your taste buds and waistline will thank you!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 24 muffins
Serving Size: 1 muffin
- 1 3/4 cups organic oat groats or steel cut oats
- 1 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 4 tsp organic cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom, ground (optional)
- 1/2 tsp ginger, powdered
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp tapioca flour
- 1/4 tsp organic yogurt
- 1/4 tsp real salt
- 4 organic eggs
- 2/3 cup coconut oil (brought to room temperature)
- 2 TBSP organic vanilla extract
- 16 oz organic carrots (completely minced in a food processor)
- 8 oz can of crushed pineapple, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a grain mill, process the oats into flour.
- Add oat flour and all other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Use a handheld mixer to blend ingredients well.
- Distribute into 24 greased muffin wells.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until set in the middle.