These curried chickpeas are a hearty addition to our meal plan rotation. Preparation is quick and simple, and the smell of the sweet curry wafting through the house is a welcome addition on a chilly afternoon. Besides being delicious, it is packed with protein and fiber, and plenty of nutrient-rich vegetables. We like to serve it with steamed quinoa topped with freshly diced pineapple, tomato, and cilantro. For extra heat, you can add more curry paste or a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. This recipe is also an excellent candidate for preparing in bulk and freezing.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups organic onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (19-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 TBSP curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 2 TBSP chopped pickled jalapeño pepper
- 1 organic jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 12 oz organic shredded carrots
- 3 teaspoon Real Salt
- 2 TBSP Sugar in the Raw
- 1/2 tsp hot curry paste or more to taste(I used Patak’s)
- 3 cups steamed organic quinoa
- 2 cups fresh pineapple, diced
- 1 cup organic cilantro, chopped
- 3 organic tomatoes, diced
- Combine non-optional ingredients in a large crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with desired optional ingredients.