These whole wheat brownies with chia seeds and pistachios are perfect for you sweet-and-salty chocolate lovers! And you don’t have to feel guilty since they are also made with whole grains and fiber-rich chia seeds. If you like even more salt to your sweet, you can sprinkle a little kosher salt on top before you pop them in the oven. The feel of these brownies are more cake-like than fudge-like. They have just the right texture , and are perfect served with a glass of icy cold milk!
- 1 cup organic soft wheat berries (or use 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour)
- 1 TBSP organic chia seeds
- 4 TBSP water
- 2 cups fine raw sugar or sucanat with honey
- 1 cup organic salted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 organic eggs
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Real salt
- 1/2 cup salted pistachios, chopped
- 1/2 cup organic chocolate chips
- coarse Kosher salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Grind wheat into flour using a grain mill. Set aside.
- Grind chia seeds into a flour using a personal blender.
- In a small separate bowl, mix the chia seed flour and 4 TBSP of water and let sit
- Using a hand mixer, blend the melted butter, sugar or sucanat, cocoa powder, vanilla, eggs, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend until mixed well.
- Add chia and water mixure and blend until incorporated.
- Add flour and blend once more until incorporated.
- Stir in pistachios and chocolate chips. Mix well with spoon.
- Spread evenly into greased baking dish
- Sprinkle with coarse Kosher salt if you like a salty/sweet brownie
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until brownies are set in the middle.